Sunday, January 22, 2012

Circles That I've Drawn

Our staff is reading Mark Batterson's book The Circle Maker together. I've gone on record before and said that Mark is an amazing writer and one of the most authentic and intentional people I've met. I highly recommend all of his books.

I was humbled this week when I saw a picture posted on FaceBook by one of the parents in our
church. Her daughter, who is in Kindergarten, wrote this in her prayer journal. Her brother has been sick for a while and has had to have a lot of tests. The family is still waiting for a diagnosis.

Prayer is about drawing circles around people and things that we're trusting God for. She's drawn a circle around her little brother and in doing so has taught us all a lot about prayer.

Here are three things I've recently circled in prayer:
  • My son Andrew and I are going on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic. We leave in less than two weeks. Andrew has been out of the county (Europe) but has never seen real poverty. For the last couple of months I've been praying that while we are there God will enlarge his heart for children who have so much less than he has. I'm praying that this trip is a life-changer for him.

  • I'm praying for our church as we launch a 40-Day campaign. I'm praying that in the end we will not only want to KNOW more scripture but we will want to DO more scripture.

  • And I'm praying for an event that's coming up this weekend in Northern Va. It's called Mission Possible and it's all about helping students learn about the social needs in our world and how they can be apart of changing that world.
What or whom are you circling in prayer?

No comments: