Sunday, August 31, 2008

Being Attractive Without Having to Look Good - Part 2

I received a lot of positive feedback today. A lot of folks seemed to resonate with the ping pong analogy.

At lunch someone told me they realized that when they don't dig deeper and just "play the game", how that affects multiple other people down the line. For example, if I come to work stressed out, my stress then stresses out the people I work with. So I've introduced stress to their lives that is now passed on to other people in their lives, like their family.

Here's some follow up questions/comments:

I said that when we dig deeper I thought we would find fear, anger and guilt at the root of the problem. Did I miss anything? Are there other deeper issues that cause us to lose the war with peace?

Why is it that we find it easier to just use the coping strategies rather than actually going after the deeper stuff? Is there a way the church can do more to help people go deeper?

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

It's much easier for people to use coping strategies rather than deal with the underlying issues because the underlying issues aren't easy. They are deep and usually connected to "raw nerves." If we have to deal with those issues then it really hurts. I'd say virtually all conflict in human communication has an underlying and deeper issue.

Not sure if you mentioned this, but what about finances? I read somewhere that finances are the leading cause of strife in marriages. I know that this can cause much war and little peace in most relationships.