Thursday, June 9, 2011

What I'm Reading


Sometimes people ask me what books I’m reading.   I love the question because I believe in a sense we become what we read. By the way, I’m not a big reader; I never have been.  I know people who read for pleasure or entertainment, I wish I did but I don’t.  Reading for me is work but it’s a work that I enjoy because it’s more than just what’s going on in my mind, it’s shaping who I am.

So here’s a list of books I’m reading right now: 
  • Parenting Beyond Your Capacity by Reggie Joiner and Carey Nieuwhof – I recommended this book a couple of Sundays ago.  I think every parent should read this book.  It will also give you a good idea of where we are going with our family ministry at FCBC.  We’ve given away around 20 copies and still have some left in the foyer outside the worship center.
  • Steering Through Chaos by Scott Wilson – Our staff is reading this book together and discussing it each week.  Scott is a pastor who writes to other pastors out of his wisdom and experience.
  • Soul Print by Mark Batterson – I’m reading this with my small group right now.  This is Mark’s fourth book and he’s about to publish his fifth.  Mark has a great writing style.  He has a way of taking complicated spiritual matters and framing them in a simple, understandable way.  I’ve met Mark personally and have a lot of respect for him as a person and pastor.
  • The Shallows by Nicolas Carr – This was recommended by a friend and the title sounded interesting.  It’s about what the internet is doing to our brains.

No comments: