Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Under the Overpass

I joined Blogging for Books last month and just got my first book.  Basically how it works is you register with them, pick a book, they send it to you for free and then you read and blog about it.  I figured since I usually blog about some of the books I read I might as well get some books for free and help the publisher out in the process.

So my first book, Under the Overpass, came in this week.  It was written by a guy name Mike Yankoski.  Mike, and his friend Sam, spent five months on the streets of Denver, Washington, D.C., Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix and San Diego living among the homeless.

John Ashmen, president, Association of Gospel Rescue Mission wrote one of the forwards:
Every once in a while a book comes along that is so raw and revealing it proves to be a catalyst for cognizance and conviction for multiple generations.  Under the Overpass is such a book.  Mike and Sam's five-month journey through the underbelly of America was not a brazen stunt by bored college students but a quest born out of guilt and curiosity that became a Christ-fueled passion for the poor and dispossessed.  I know Mike and am inspired by the fact that his zeal has intensified over time.  He lives what he learned on the streets.  Be careful as you read this timely book; it could radically change your perceptions and maybe even your calling. 

No comments: