Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Andrew and Abbey started swimming lessons Saturday. Reminded me of my college days when I was a swimming instructor. I taught one summer. We ran seven, one hour classes a day and lifeguarded four hours a day, Mon-Fri. Did that for eight weeks. That was probably the best shape I've ever been in, in my life.

I remember one scrawny, red headed five year old. The first night he did not even want to put his feet in the water. When he did he completely tensed up with fear. All I could get him to do for two days was get in up to his waist and hold on to the side and just walk along the shallow end. Two weeks later, on the last night he jumped off of the diving board into my arms and then we swam to the side together.

Great memories.

1 comment:

David said...

Alisha,

Thanks for your comment. I took one class as a kid, don't really remember what I learned. I just know I was not afraid of water growing up.

We spent alot of time at pools, the beach and mountain water holes.

I really learned to swim, correctly, my freshman year of college in a required P.E. class. That's also where I got into teaching water safety, lifeguarding and swimming.