Friday, October 29, 2010

How Should I Vote This Tuesday?

I can't wait for the elections to be over.  Elections are emotional, full of rhetoric and usually have a number of negative ads.  But this one seems to have more of all of that than usual.  The ads enough are enough to make paying for a DVR worth it.

Regardless of who wins and who loses, this election is going to make history.  It's going to be the most expensive mid-term election ever, with all the campaigns combined costing over 4 billion dollars.

A friend of mine (Rusty Coram) shared some advice about how we should approach this year's election.  His advice is well worth passing on so here it is:

  • Negative ads aren't good info resources.  For helpful information, do your own homework.
  • What someone did 20 years ago doesn't necessarily indicate who they are today - people can change.
  • Political labels aren't as telling as what a person has actually done.
  • Charisma shouldn't out weigh character.
  • If you don't vote, don't complain.
  • If you do vote, don't complain - do something constructive
I'm proud that I live in America and have the freedoms that I have.  And it's a privilege to be a part of the election process.  I'm also a follower of Christ.  And that means that I am to honor Him in all I do.  And so before I vote this Tuesday I will pray, seek wisdom, do my part to be informed and then exercise my right and responsibility to vote. 

No comments: